Friday, December 16, 2005

The times - they are achanging

It's been quite some time since I posted here. I am back in India and it's already going to be a month, since I am back. (Though I would continue updating FinnTimes). A month back, I had mentally thought about a number of things that would be different after being used to a different life for 5.5 months. Finally I am listing them down.

- Finally I would be able to drive after a gap of 5.5 months!
- I would also get leered at, something which I had gotten quite unused to.
- Finally I would be able to make some sense of the conversation happening around me (mostly).
- On the other hand, I wouldn't be able to throw all caution to the winds and talk freely in Hindi, assuming at the time that no one else understood it.
- I would be able to get my hair cut and not burn a 115 Euro deep hole in my pocket!
- There would be some fragrances in the air (good and bad both), instead of an odourless environment.
- Finally I would be able to create a noise or generally be loud, without feeling guilty about it.
- I wouldn't be able to go out late at night or alone :(..sigh.
- No mid night sun either :(
- There would be lots of home cooked food. Ok, I was cooking myself, but at least I wouldnt have to cook for a change.
- I can not expect maps, information booklets, brochures at my beck and call at every place I visit.. sigh.
- I need to get rid of the habit of leaving things lying around in public places and expecting them to still be there when I am not looking.
- No more pets in all public transport or escalators or shops!
- Unfortunately, the short period of not seeing animals/ppl splattered on roads, comes to an end.
- I would finally spend in Rupees and reverse-condition my mind to feel happy with the Rupee to Euro conversion. Oh, 100 bucks? That's not even 2 euros! Imagine what all I can buy within that!
- I can now get away with not following timings, not being punctual etc. :p.
- I can indulge in some late night shopping!
- I am apprehensive about tackling crowds, places and events like Pragati Maidan Trade fairs, etc.
- No more imported fruits and veggies in my diet. Mere desh kee dhartee sona ugle or ugle taazi sabji.
- Finally I can use a gas stove/grill instead of a hot plate. Ah, the joys of cooking with an instant temperature control!
- I can not expect insurance to cover every damn thing on earth, including things like damage caused by me to someone else's property!
- I would miss saying "thank you" in multiple languages (changing quite frequently at that). I surely have had to suppress the urge to automatically utter "Kittos".
- I can finally go to a beauty parlour without the risk of coming out eye brow less.
- I can finally watch some theatre (and understand the language) or just soak in some cultural experience.
- No more exquisite cakes, pastries, muffins, confectionary items at my beck and call :(.
- No more tracking the Euro's progress in order to transfer money online. (This would happen only after the final umbilical cord called "submitting tax in Finland" is cut).
- No more looking out for events that the Indian community in Finland would indulge in.
- No more calculation of a 3.5 hour offset with the timezone. It's the reverse now, actually speaking, but on a much lesser frequency.
- No more broadband :(. No more 5 hour skype calls, no more googletalk :(. Well, it's possible here technically, but so far it's not there in my life.
- Getting used to an English keyboard after a Finnish keyboard is BOUND to be difficult (it has been so far).
- No more globe trotting/checking out new destinations on weekends :(. Am going to be a koop mandoop (Frog in a well) now.
- No more of a relaxed lifestyle..sigh.. life is in the fast lane here.
- No more blondes in the view, no more looking out for ppl who possess Indian looks, no more trying to be friendly to such ppl, no more of "all things Indian, standing out or leaping out at me" whether in print, radio or TV.
- No more of learning Finnish, by watching sub titles on TV. I am surely gonna miss that.
- No more Finnish songs on radio :(. Sigh...
- No more sauna.
- Finally I would have some house help for cleaning, washing utensils etc.
- Now I would have to start thinking about petrol prices, after not thinking abt them all this while.
- Finally no one would assume that I am Spanish, Greek, Russian, Iranian and what not, instead of Indian!
- Onset of marriage season! Oh boy! Regular traffic jams and invitations everyday.
- Finally I would get tuned in to the Indian movie scene and media. No, it's really futile trying it all through streaming.
- No more Euro salary :-(
- No more BIG moon or sunset and stars at the same time in the sky. :-(

All said and done, it's great being back on the mother ship.

13 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, December 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to be in India, good time to leave Finland just before winter.

Yeah some things would be noticeable, like shopping after 6 pm. No signs of pissing and puking on the street on weekends. No more ppl in their national dress (track suit)

Some things you will miss, like helpful polissi, the customer friendly Posti and the milk in cartons.
Buses, trams and subways on time and most importantly, 40 hours work per week.

I spotted your blog today only, are you the one who were planning to go to Rovaniemi around 15th nov, did you make it ?

 
At 3:53 PM, December 19, 2005, Blogger Twilight Fairy said...

Hi Green,
I did go to Rovaniemi (yet to post abt it) but not around 15th. I guess that would be someone else :).
Where are you located?

 
At 4:41 PM, December 19, 2005, Blogger greensatya said...

Sometimes back there was this mail in 'Fintia' and that person was to leave Finland the same time as you and she was from GGN as well, so I thought.

I am based in Hameenlinna, remember it ?

--green :)

 
At 5:02 PM, December 19, 2005, Blogger Twilight Fairy said...

Hameenlinna? Well I know that place but I never went there..was somewhere between Helsinki and Tampere..

 
At 5:07 PM, December 19, 2005, Blogger greensatya said...

yep, midway. So,analysing by your comment,I guess I was correct :p

I didn't do study, rather I am a silent member of Fintia, but I sort of remember all the mails that are sent on it.

 
At 7:51 PM, January 01, 2006, Blogger M&M said...

ya sure it really is great to be somwhere u belong to.any way scandanavian nations suck bigtime.nice way of listing thing though.

 
At 8:46 AM, January 11, 2006, Blogger Ankur said...

nice heartfelt and true list,,,u surely know how to keep details and track of alll the stufff...

 
At 2:46 PM, January 11, 2006, Blogger Twilight Fairy said...

Yeah Green, you are right about that one.

Jerrymaguire, Scandinavian countries are much better hosts than many others. I quite enjoyed my time there.

Thanks Ankur!! :p..details, yes, I am quite an observer :).

 
At 2:48 PM, January 11, 2006, Blogger Twilight Fairy said...

And Ankur, I guess you know, I did meet your bro there :)

 
At 8:34 AM, May 28, 2007, Blogger ~ ॐ ~ said...

nice nice.... there is so much to do in india too :)

 
At 9:53 PM, March 24, 2010, Anonymous LIC OF INDIA said...

I am Rhea S. I have visited your website and I would like to congratulate you on building such a valuable online resource. I am sure your visitors find your site as useful as I did.

Have a great day.

 
At 10:24 PM, September 20, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

слов
levaquin 500mg
millionc
занятий
gabapentin 300mg
checkbooks
windstar
cephalexin 500mg
wiffe
weekgrade
amoxicillin 500mg
ringtoneman
expertlike
doxycycline 100mg
cadarache
celebrex 200mg
slopespico
filipe
augmentin 875mg
handlemonday
zithromax 500mg
hutchin
clothespins
azithromycin 250mg
diiie
ciprofloxacin 500mg
manroot
hypertasters
depakote 500mg
laundau
citalopram 20mg
stir
wallermy
keflex 500mg
windshield
texa
topamax 25mg
wordssunnys
tetracycline 500mg

 
At 5:29 PM, January 24, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said...

confirmedit
tpods
what does blood glucose 642 mean
reflection point, lake wylie, nc
things remembered coupons
tingsajthe
mortgage refinancing us
dragon ball gt
unanswered
gianfranco
martin luther king cause and effect graphic organizer
hanover local charities
old vending machines
erwarten
upnkipm
snow story inspirational
how to sell your trailer in iowa
jillian michaels photos
copings
oregon starry night jasper
world trade center dimensions
opendocument
legs
custer's last fight oil painting
packing list for travel
used toyota avalon
millennium
sheraised
cheap loose black diamonds
brucie in brooklyn
carpet upholstery cleaning
osclkbv
ultraviolet air purifier scam
examples of metamorphic
emailsplease
anamnesi
buffalo meat va
intermatic timers for cfl
towing capacity chart
demishe
breezed
inspiring quotes by marilyn monroe
highway 78 traffic cam snellville ga
hp clearview wide format print media
#

 

Post a Comment

<< Home